Sunday, January 29, 2023

 Reflection for January 2023:

I realize that quite a bit of time has passed between now and my previous reflection.  Truthfully, I’m not one hundred percent sure if that even matters.  I’ve been having this feeling for quite some time now given all the different things one can deal with as an administrator at a Catholic school and how to balance the Gospel message of Jesus with a society that seems anything but “Jesus-like”.  Because of this, it’s easy to allow negativity to creep in through the cracks of our spiritual lives.  Last Friday however, something happened, the Holy Spirit I presume, came and shook me a little bit out of this mindset and opened my ears to what I was getting ready to hear.  I would now ask you to open yours, along with your mind, to reflect on what you are about to read/hear as well. 

I was sitting in our All-School mass on Friday morning, just as I do every Friday, reflecting on each and every issue that was going on at the time, trying to time-line in my head deadlines for the accreditation documents, my son’s upcoming medical visits and procedures, my other son’s senior-year events, the seemingly mounting issues piling up from family to family and praying about “why the world, heck, our small community, is swimming in negativity, gossip and division” when the Holy Spirit stepped in and forced me to listen to something.  Now, this something wasn’t anything new to be honest, in fact, the action of it is something we do in every mass we attend – The Prayers of the Faithful – however, this one gave me the answer I was looking for.  You see, generally when we do the prayers and petitions during mass we are all asked to answer in a specific way, often “Lord hear our prayer” as we all pray these petitions together.  It was at that moment when two things entered into my mind; 1. Are we actually listening to these petitions, and 2. Are we actually prayer these prayers as an OLMC community?  Let me refresh these prayers from last Friday from the second-grade students:

“That world leaders and their intentions will always be on justice for ALL the people they represent and not on personal power and prestige…”

“For unity among Christianity and all churches throughout the world…”

“For anyone who is struggling to deal with the death of a family member or loved one…”

“That we may always remember to treat others the way we want to be treated...”

“That our community will be united in love, justice and compassion…”

“That our teachers may be lifted up and given the respect and honor they deserve…”

“For our students and their families, that they always be blessed by God in all that they do…”

“For our own special intentions…”

In each of these prayers that our 2nd graders led us in, the entire church answered “Lord, hear our prayer.”  So, I have to ask you, did you actually pray these prayers and if so, are you actually practicing the prayers that you were praying last Friday morning?  If we are actually doing this I have to believe that we should begin to see some kind of change, that something positive must be brewing inside of each of us right?  “Unity among Christians, treating others the way we want to be treated, united in love and compassion and justice, give and given respect and honor, to bless and be blessed”, No?  Maybe? 

Something similar happened this morning at the 11:00 Sunday mass as we kicked off Catholic School’s Week and Fr. Mark’s Homily spoke about the Beatitudes.  I looked around at an unusually and wonderfully PACKED church building and thought “if we only lived these things and didn’t just recite them”.  That’s when the Holy Spirit shook me again.  You see, the changes we want to see begin with US!  Being nice isn’t predicated on allowing evil to happen for the sake of not upsetting anyone.  Don’t mistake kindness for weakness.  God expects us to be kind, but not to be weak.  So, here it is:

It is time to stop talking and start doing; to stop coasting and start working; to build and not break down; to believe and not detract; to unify and not divide.  It is beyond time to act as Jesus tells us to or get out of the way.  Wouldn’t it be amazing if a revival of Christian works and discipleship exploded here at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and School?  I mean, all the pieces are there, and have been, for something amazing to take place.  Maybe, we just need to get out of our own way and let go of all our ridiculous hang-ups and personal platforms and let God do His will in our lives!  We cannot teach our kids to be disciples if continue to live only for ourselves. 

Mr. Swann - Principal