Monday, September 26, 2022

 Gospel Reflection 9-26-22:

Today’s Gospel reflects on something I’ve been dealing with within our OLMC family quite a bit lately.  As I read and re-read the Gospel this morning, I began to wish to myself that things would just be easy for a while.  That I would be able to focus on accreditation, the business aspect of the school, and/or celebrating in the small victories our students win on a daily basis in the many areas of their education.  However, I know that will not be the case.  I think it’s quite appropriate that the Disciples, those who were in the very presence of Jesus, still acted in a way which many of us act today. 

As Luke states:  “An argument arose among the disciples which of them was the greatest.  Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by his side and said to them; ‘Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.  For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest.’”

We (teachers) see this behavior every day amongst our students.  I want to be first in line, first to the monkey bars, first to the kickball, first to snack, first to turn my work in, first to finish, first, first, first….after all “if you aint first, you’re last!” right?  Apparently, Jesus doesn’t seem to think so.  Growing up I often compared myself to my peers and others in my neighborhood or family.  It seems pretty natural to do so.  I also know that I developed some of my behaviors (both good and bad) because of that comparison.  It is because of this I looked at the Gospel today with a question: I wonder how many people witnessed the disciples arguing about being “first” in front of Jesus.  The Gospel says they were among children; how many children saw first-hand these men of God arguing in such a selfish manner in front of the Christ, and, what kind of lesson did that teach those young people?  Fortunately Jesus was there to take one of the children and teach the lesson not only to them, but to the same disciples who were acting so entitled.  Unfortunately for us, we do not have Jesus in physical form to correct us of our own arrogance and entitlement on the spot as he did with the disciples. 

Jesus’s lesson to us and the disciples this morning reminded me of a prayer card that I often read.  This prayer reminds me and refocuses me on why I left higher education and pursued the vocation of being a Catholic School Principal to begin with – our children.  That prayer reads as follows:

Children Learn What They Live:

If a child lives with criticism, He learns to condemn.

If a child lives with hostility, He learns to fight.

If a child lives with ridicule, He leans to be shy.

If a child lives with shame, He learns to feel guilty.

If a child lives with tolerance, He learns be patient.

If a child lives with encouragement, He learns confidence.

If a child lives with praise, He learns to appreciate.

If a child lives with fairness, He learns justice.

If a child lives with security, He learns to have faith.

If a child lives with approval, He learns to like himself.

If a child lives with acceptance & friendship, He learns to find love in the world.

Jesus reminds us today that when we look around and judge who is “the greatest” Christian (or who isn’t), we miss the point.  God doesn’t measure our greatness by comparing us to others, nor is he judging us as failures because others disagree with us.  Today’s Gospel shows us Christ bypassing adults (the disciples) for favor of the children in order to teach them what the disciples were failing to.  In that same way, God is asking us to teach our children right from wrong, to care for others, to respect one-another, to listen to the voice of God’s call, to be mindful that true success is a sincere desire to serve.  He is asking us to teach them through our actions and our words which we display.  May we learn from the mistakes of the disciples in today’s Gospel, and continue to grow the mission of Christ not only for ourselves, but for our children. 

Mr. Swann - Principal