Friday, September 8, 2023

A Note From Mr. Swann 9/8/2023

OLMC Family.

Welcome to September.  Another week has gone, and we are one week closer to Thanksgiving, I guess. (The break alone is already beginning to look attractive) What is it that you are thankful for?  I thought about this question much over the last few weeks.  Like you, I have a great deal to be thankful for and yet, perhaps much like you as well, I often find that fact difficult to remember and practice.  Perhaps this is because our focus is on the wrong place.  

I suppose if we were to list on a sheet of paper our items of thanksgiving on one side, and across from that, our items of disappointment/distraction/things which upset us, the side containing those of thanksgiving would far outweigh the side containing the disappointment.  However, if we loaded those same two categories into a sound machine, I'm quite certain the disappointment side would be the loudest.  Why is it that the difficult and challenging issues seem to be so much louder than the peaceful and happy events. 

I'm often reminded of growing up without much and how much I hated it as a youth and now, as an adult I am thankful as that experience has both made me appreciate what I have now significantly and to be aware that, should I ever lose it, I will be okay. 

Our faith tells us that without suffering, without the opportunity to carry our cross, the true appreciation for Jesus's sacrifice for us is lost.  We are a people who tend to go after the things we want; the things that make us feel good and detest anything that we don't want or that comes with a struggle.  We have conditioned ourselves to reject suffering.  We often strive to avoid anything which makes us feel uncomfortable such as personal or spiritual challenge, self-discipline, confession, confrontation and even at times, the mass.  However, is that what is really in God's plan for our Spiritual development? Saint Augustine once said that "If you believe what you like in the Gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." 

"Rejoice always, Pray continually, Give thanks in all circumstances; For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

Mr. Jason C. Swann
Principal
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Regional Catholic
(618)942-4484 ext. 3102
jswann@olmcschool.net